Thursday, August 05, 2010

Mayer Hawthorne x Nottz + Jesse Boykins III

Between recent rotations of Ricky Rosay's Teflon Don, Gangsta Gibbs' Str8 Killa No Filla, Bun B's Trill OG and the other great albums that have come out this year (i.e. Big Boi, The Roots, Em, Reflection Eternal, Erykah, Freeway & Jake One, I would even include Drake, etc), I've snuck in these worthwhile soul gems from Mayer Hawthorne/Nottz and Jesse Boykins III... who knew that this summer the tables would flip and dope full length projects would trump the big single releases.

MAYER HAWTHORNE - I NEED YOU (PROD. BY NOTTZ)


Mayer Hawthorne on the collaboration:
I met Nottz at Nightlife’s Dilla Tribute in L.A. and we just kept in contact. I had always been a fan of Nottz since the 90s. He sent me a bunch of beats and at first I had no idea what to do with any of them, but eventually it hit me… When Nottz sent me that batch – that particular beat stood out. It had the same chord progression as the Otis Leville, so I just went with it.


JESSE BOYKINS III - CLOSER (COVER)

Here JB covers Corrine Bailey Rae's "Closer" and puts his own unique spin on the cut
from her album The
Sea.


No comments: